Published on September 22, 2014
Now that you’ve found a doctor and had your first visit, you may be wondering what to do next. It’s important to follow through with your doctor’s recommendations.
For example, if your doctor told you to go to a specialist, call for an appointment. Even if you see a specialist for a specific service or condition, you’ll always come back to your primary care doctor.
Here are some tips to help you get the care you need:
- Ask your doctor’s office to notify you when your next visit or recommended health screenings should happen.
- Put an appointment reminder on your calendar or use a smartphone app.
- Don’t be too busy to go to your appointment. Remember to put your health first.
- If you have questions or concerns between visits, call your doctor’s office. They can help answer your questions and adjust any medications you’re taking.
- If you’re worried you can’t afford care, ask your doctor about ways to lower the cost of medication and services.
- Don’t be scared. By getting the preventive care that is right for you, your doctor is more likely to find an illness or problem early and help you get better faster.
- If the way your doctor or office staff spoke or acted made you not want to return or listen to them, speak up or consider changing doctors.
Watch the video: “The Day After” – from Coverage to Care
Watch the video: “The Final Word” – from Coverage to Care
Print your own booklet: Step 8 – Next Steps After Your Appointment